Sr Samuel Chong, QS. The Malaysian Consultant

The Website for Malaysian Construction Industry.

Ask Sam !

Forum Home > Questions on Bill of Quantities / Measurement > Roof measurement

LENIOR LEE

Hi Sam,just quick one....when a QS calculate the area for a building roofing,does he take into the account of the pitch effect. In one of my project, we have discovered that the pitch degree of 32 has significant variance toward the roofing area and simple calcultion shows that its not included and when highlighted to the project QS, we where told that its deem inclusive in our rates for the pitch effect....your valuable advice on this,thank you.

January 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sr Samuel Chong

According to the Standard Method of Measurement (SMM - Section A.3/2 & L2/1), most roofing is measured according to net finished area, ie net roof sheet area as per pitch, not flat on plan.

It is possible to deviate / depart from the standard way of doing things - ie use our own method - so long as it is indicated / made known how the measurement departs from the standard method.  If the project QS said that the pitch effect is deemed inclusive in the rates - it is possible.  Check with the QS where it said so to this effect in the contract document or SMM.

January 15, 2011 at 10:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LENIOR LEE

Thank you for your reply, certainly enlighten my knoledge in solving problem the problem and will check with the project QS soon,will revert when i get the outcome. Best wishes.

January 16, 2011 at 6:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.